Looking to get involved in PA student activities or start some of your own? This section provides information that will help your student society or PA program get involved!
What is a Student Society?
- This section is your guide for going that extra mile to get involved as a PA student. Every student has talent,energy and enthusiasm that can make a difference. The following list offers some suggestions to get you started, but the best projects are original ideas from students who have identified a problem and want to work toward the solution.
- Project Access (Website: The toolkit is now available on the PAEA site: Project Access Toolkit)
- Fundraising Bake sales, Local Rotary clubs, Grants, etc. Pick a cause and make a difference.
- Annual events for PA week, AAPA conference, AAPA’s CORE, holidays (clothing drives, adopt a family for Christmas) Please refer to the AOR resource guide – Request this guide from: Students@AAPA.org
- PA = Party Animal. Social events and bonding outside the classroom (Pot lucks, class movie nights, Secret Santa, etc.)
- State Constituent Organization’s events (search your SCO’s Event Calendar)
- National Work Groups/Task Forces with the Student Academy of the American Academy of PAs (SAAAPA) – Contact your SAAAPA leaders, who are students just like you!
Awards for PA Students and Programs
SAAAPA Awards Page. Nominate someone you know for a prestigious, nationally recognized award through the AAPA, PA Foundation, or PAEA.
What Are Other Programs Doing?
- ATSU ASHS Physician Assistant Program – YouTube Video
- Sean Russell, PA-S and a couple of classmates from East Carolina University wanted to make a motivational weight loss video to bring in the new year and wanted to share it
- The NYIT Physician Assistant Studies Class of 2015 participated in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) 2nd Annual Pineapple 5K Classic. The race, which was held on the NYIT campus in Old Westbury and consisted of obstacles that the runners had to climb, crawl, and maneuver through along the way. See blog entry for more details!
Write to Get Involved
- Interested in writing? There are many opportunities to get involved while in PA school through writing. The PA Professional magazine has a quarterly student section called “First Rounds” that is the perfect opportunity to publish a short article. Contact information is as follows:
com-Twitter: https://twitter.com/ FirstRounds
—-For information on submitting a blog to this website, see our “About” page.
- Social Media Involvement: Use Twitter hashtags #physicianassistant, #physicianassistants, #PAStudent, #PAstudents to be seen on the home page feed!
Program “Yellow Pages”
- PA program directory to keep in touch with other students. Reach out to nearby programs to collaborate or ask for advice. Take a look at some of the activities from PA programs around the country on our Forum page.
- PAEA’s PA Program Listing
Student Mentorship Programs
- The Mentorship Volunteer Group has been tasked with encouraging programs across the nation to develop and maintain effective mentorship programs for 1st year PA students. Please send your program’s mentorship “Success Stories” (what works and why) as well as what you envision the ideal mentor–mentee relationship to look like. These statements will be included in our recommendations and toolkit! Email Elizabeth Prevou, the group facilitator and Director of Outreach, with your anecdotes and ideas – SAAAPAPE@gmail.com.
- View the Mentorship Program Toolkit from 2014